Bamboo is one of the best sustainable resources on the planet!
While often treated as a wood bamboo is actually a grass, and a super fast growing one at that. Certain species (including the Moso Pandas are made from) have been recorded growing 3 feet in a single day.
It also reaches maturity in only 3-5 years, and once the bamboo has been harvested the root system will continue to grow, producing new shoots and helping to prevent soil erosion. This incredible growth doesn’t require chemicals fertilizers either! Bamboo gets all the nutrition it needs from the decomposition of its own leaves.
Other cool bamboo facts:
- A stand of bamboo releases 30% more oxygen into the air and absorbs more carbon dioxide than an equivalent mass of trees.
- Bamboo boasts a tensile strength stronger than steel!
- Bamboo grows on every continent except Antarctica.
- It’s delicious! Bamboo is often used in Asian cuisine, especially soups!
- Bamboo is naturally anti-bacterial, eliminating 70% of the bacteria that attempt to grow on it with it’s own bio-agents.
- Bamboo was the first plant to return after the Hiroshima bombing.